Why does asphalt require maintenance? Asphalt is created by mixing gravel, sand, and oil. The oil binder can deteriorate from chemicals, dirt, grime, oil, the sun, and wear and tear from the vehicles. There isn’t a pavement that doesn’t require some sort of maintenance, including asphalt.
What kind of maintenance does asphalt require?
- Applying a seal coating every 2-3 years, depending on the asphalt, will prolong the life of the asphalt.
- Filling cracks when they appear on the asphalt will preserve the life of the asphalt. Doing annual inspection for cracks on the asphalt will prevent further damage. A crack can be caused by too much weight, water damage, or even found in the base. Filling the cracks can prevent any additional damage to the asphalt.
- Patching any places of the asphalt can correct any problem. If there is deterioration on the asphalt, then patching this area will correct the problem and prevent costly repairs to the asphalt.
- Adding an overlay to the current asphalt can be required for an added structural support for the asphalt. The overlaying is affordable and can generally be laid on top of the current asphalt to further protect it.
- Keeping the asphalt clean and free of any chemicals will keep the asphalt maintained.
These are the basic maintenance procedures that are required for asphalt. The easiest and most effective maintenance task is inspecting the asphalt periodically. This will allow you to notice any cracks, holes, waves or odd patterns with the asphalt. When discovering any problems early, a homeowner has plenty of time to repair and fix these problems without causing major damage to the asphalt.
Asphalt is very durable and sturdy. It can provide a homeowner many years of service, but in order to do so, the asphalt must be maintained. Every homeowner understands the importance of maintaining their property. A home has many annual things that must be done to keep the home up to par and this goes for asphalt too. The more you maintain the asphalt, the longer it will last and continue to look great. This will only add value and curb appeal to your home.
If you have asphalt at your home currently and have yet to do any maintenance on the asphalt, walk around the asphalt to check if there are any cracks or holes. If there are, then call Plehal and we will gladly take care of any repairs to sustain the life of your asphalt.
To learn more on the Twin Cities asphalt leaders, click here!